A colourful fashion blog supporting independents & sustainable fashion in Bristol and beyond since 2011

Tuesday 25 March 2014

Brand New You're Retro

I've been wearing a lot more Modern Vintage style clothing of late and thought I would share with you what I would describe as my own personal take on Modern Vintage style. Following a discussion with my sista fashionista Selena (aka blogger Dilly Foxtrot) at the weekend, we both agreed that we love a bit of vintage styling mixed up with contemporary styling. The thing about Modern Vintage is that you can take little bits of style from any era and mix it up with current fashion pieces from the high street and your ever-growing wardrobe of clothes and then style it up anyway you want. I love the freedom of putting any looks together and not feeling restricted to a certain style. The main aim is to keep things current and fresh with contemporary items which makes for an individual style that is easy to maintain,looks great but can evolve and progress into another look as each new fashion season emerges.

When I say vintage I mean anything from the last century (and beyond) especially from the 1920s-1970s. I think I would go as far to say that the 1980s and 1990s is still retro not vintage but perhaps I am only saying that because I was a kid during that time. There is a fine line between throwing the word vintage around willy-nilly. I really don't think I would hear the words 'a vintage Pop Swatch' (circa early 1990's) it would clearly be a retro Pop Swatch, wouldn't it? You see what I mean...

 So, remember if you are not inspired by anything from the past then you are just Modern! Which means anything from the 1980s and 1990s is Modern Retro? Phew! This is getting confusing!

Let's get on with my latest personal style post which is definitely Modern Vintage, inspired by the 1940s and 1950s housewife with a few modern twists.







All clothing from Vivien of Holloway, New Look, H&M, Topshop and Converse.

Thanks you for reading, I hope to be back asap with some more fashionista fun!!

ND xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...