A colourful fashion blog supporting independents & sustainable fashion in Bristol and beyond since 2011

Wednesday 12 September 2018

Pinterest obsessions - Modern Art Muses

This post was originally going to be fashion based inspired by my latest musings on pinterest but when I checked out the current pins on the No Debutante pinterest boards I realised I have been subconsciously collecting a lot of art.

I like art. I went to art college. Art was my favourite subject at school and as a kid if I wasn't outside climbing trees and riding my bike I was inside, drawing.   





I never saw myself having a career in art, to be honest, I certainly didn't see myself having a career as a fashion journalist so it's funny how things turn out! Creating garments and prints for a fashion label was as close as I got to becoming an artist. I just adored fashion and in the end that's the avenue I took. 

I am really interested in graphic design and typography, which came as a surprise to me as I hated it whilst I was at art college, I was all about the fine art then. I also love 1980's artists including Jean Michel Basquiat's graffiti'd fine art and I just adore Keith Haring's style, simple graphics, repeated patterns and bright, bold colours with a thick, dark outline.




New York Beat by Jean Michel Basquiat


I am always talking about the Italian Memphis art (also from the 1980's) on this blog and I was so excited when it became contemporary again with designers, like local Bristol designer & No Debutante fave Tezla, whose Memphis style graphics adorn her geometric jewellery pieces. 

Clearly, I am reminded by my youth with all of these artists and the beginnings of graffiti and street art being fresh in my mind. I like bright colours and patterns which always seem to have a fun childlike edge to them. Contemporary artists I like seem to be influenced from this era too.


I am also rather partial to Matisse's cut and paste abstract graphic style which in turn must have influenced Keith Haring in a way. 


Not forgetting a slice of Pop Art and a bit of psychedelia, the Yellow Submarine used to be a favourite film and I just loved the bizarre, abstract artwork by artists including Heinz Edelmann, who was also inspired by Art Deco and Surrealism but his interpretation included the bright colours and patterns that I crave!  





Memphis style artwork


The artwork on show today is only what has appeared in my most recent pinterest hoarding and perhaps this will become a new feature for the blog.It's safe to say that these posts will always be filled with bright colours, fun illustrations and repeating patterns and Modern Art is definitely my thing! 




Alexander Medel Calderon for Lazy Oaf


Keith Haring


Keith Haring does Henri Matisse




Jean Michel Basquiat and his art





PLAY MORE DANCE MORE by Camille Walala



Keith Haring invitation






Alexander Medel Calderon


Jordy van den Nieuwendijk



WASTED by Marco Oggian








If you are having a fashion event or a have a new collection you would like No Debutante to promote please get in touch!

Check out my work with Bristol 24/7 magazine under my name 
Emma Gorton-Ellicott

If you are interested in collaborating with No Debutante or getting featured on the No Debutante blog please contact me nodebutanteblog@gmail.com

Keep up with No Debutantes OOTD posts, collabs and current fashion obsessions posted daily on all of the following. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr,  Pinterest all under the #nodebutante name.

Thanks for checking in Fashionistas.   
ND xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...