A colourful fashion blog supporting independents & sustainable fashion in Bristol and beyond since 2011

Tuesday 17 July 2018

DJ Queens and girl squad dreams

It's been a very busy and hot hot hot few weeks in Bristol.

I got to guest DJ alongside a group of amazing females at the Frau DJs Unofficial Pride Party this weekend, Bristol was buzzing from Pride and everyone was covered in glitter and rainbows.

DJing at the Fraud DJ's Unofficial Pride party at Hy-Brasil in Bristol

I had the best time playing my set and felt really empowered DJing with lots of women who are so encouraging and supportive. Don't get me wrong I love DJing with my own DJ collective Bang too (consisting of my husband Phil and my brother Mike). I am very comfortable with them for obvious reasons, plus we've been DJing together for years. It's just a different dynamic with girls, like a girl gang or a squad, it's empowering!

The amaze Frau DJs Zoe and Katie



Everyone celebrates Pride now, it's like everyone wearing glitter at festivals, it's just what we do. It is really great that Pride is so inclusive, supported and loved but will it get so popular that the point is being missed? Primark are even selling Pride t-shirts, has Pride gone mainstream? Oh no that's just the corporate fat cats cashing in again!

I guess it's not for me to say as I am neither LGBTQ+ but as a feminist I believe in equality for everyone and I love rainbows. Oh fuck it! Let's all just celebrate Pride and not worry about it.

No Debutante's rainbow fueled Pride outfit


Another thing we do well here in Bristol is celebrate carnival, St Paul's Carnival to be precise, it's all bright colours, big outfits, even bigger sound-systems and of course rum. This year we celebrated it's 50th year as Bristol's Afro-Caribbean carnival!

Pre-party drinks in the sunshine in rainbow stripes, florals and leopard prints

Rum Cocks!

Carnival was the week before Pride and my two of my besties from my own girl squad 'The Rach(a)el's' where in town. Sadly, we had made other plans and only got a brief carnival tour this year, I managed to fill them up with rum and we then moved onwards for a great Bristol pub crawl.  The streets were rammed, England had just got into the semi finals of the World Cup (which is where we stayed unfortunately) and Bristol was buzzing! It got messy.....it always does.

The Rum Ba-Ba's girl squad

Caught by the fuzz at St Paul's Carnival in Bristol


Next weekend we celebrate the Harbour Festival and my band the Mono Dots will be playing on the Grain Barge boat on Saturday 21 July from 9.30pm. Come check us out if you are in the area. We kick ass! I look forward to a third weekend of partying! What you lot been up to?





All photography by No Debutante 


If you are having a fashion event, a new collection or fun event you would like No Debutante to promote please get in touch!

No Debutante promotes fashion independents, new designers & sustainable fashion. 

Check out my work with Bristol 24/7 magazine under my name 
Emma Gorton-Ellicott

If you are interested in collaborating with No Debutante or getting featured on the No Debutante blog please contact me nodebutanteblog@gmail.com

Keep up with No Debutantes OOTD posts, collabs and current fashion obsessions posted daily on all of the following. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest all under the #nodebutante name. 


Thanks for checking in Fashionistas
ND xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...