A colourful fashion blog supporting independents & sustainable fashion in Bristol and beyond since 2011

Monday 2 December 2013

Fresh Meat - The Story of My First Tattoo

The most permanent thing, next to having a child (or three) that I have done of late is to FINALLY get a tattoo. It has only taken me about twenty years to decide on the style and design of  a tattoo that would be personal to me. The other thing I was very conscious about was getting a tattoo that wouldn't date and it had to be something  I wouldn't regret after a few years.  After collecting many images on my Pinterest Tattoo board , I came to the conclusion that I really like traditional tattoos. I love Sailor Jerry style tattoos, traditional or rockabilly styles. I am also attracted to Kawaii style tattoos, not very rockabilly, but that's the Harajuku girl in me! I love Swallows, anchors, Russians Dolls, Lucky Cats and Roses, I think you get the general idea but here's a link to my Pinterest Tattoo board if you'd like to see more http://www.pinterest.com/nodebutante/tattoo/ 

Despite tattoos being an ongoing conversation with certain work mates and friends who are tattoo lovers, it took a chance meeting at a friends wedding  back in May this year where I was, coincidentally, recommend a certain tattoo studio by not one but two different sources on the same day. Check out the post from the wedding here http://no-debutante.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/no-debutante-rocknroll-wedding.html  to see the ridiculously cool, Jane and Mark Ireson and their amazing tattoos! Jane and Mark got most of their work done at Broad Street Studio in Bath, UK and totally convinced me that this was the place to go for traditional tattoos. So, after a few months of needlessly delaying the inevitable I was booked in with (the highly recommended) Jimmie at Broad Street  - check Broad Street Studio out here http://www.broadstreetstudio.co.uk/index.html  - I had come to the decision (not an easy one) to have a swallow on my back / lower shoulder and Jimmie instantly convinced me that it was traditional to have two swallows, so I agreed (tattoo getting bigger by the minute) and when I actually arrived to get the tattoo a few weeks later, I decided I wanted to add some flowers too! 

People were asking me if I was scared or anxious about getting my tattoo, it is true that I have had three kids, so I could perhaps hold my own and man up a bit about the pain but unfortunately I was a bit of a wimp during child birth (despite actually getting through it). The main worry for me was not the pain (although it did linger in my thoughts a bit) it was the fact that I was going to let Jimmie, who I'd only just met, design my tattoo for me. I was worried that I wouldn't like it, I am ridiculously fickle and perhaps a bit of a control freak, some might say, you ask  my hairdresser Vikki Mac, frankly, I'm a pain in the arse! So, yes my main worry was that I wouldn't like Jimmie's design. Thankfully I shouldn't have caused myself all of the stress,  Jimmie's design was completely unique, it included everything I had asked for, the swallows and the flowers in the traditional style, to be honest I am not really sure what I was expecting but I loved it and so did my husband Phil (who is next up for my tattoo obsession, he is fresh meat too and I think he'd rock a tattoo but that's another story) Jimmie explained the colours he'd be using and I agreed with him, then he went and set up. Yikes!

I had no idea how I was going to react to having my tattoo done or any idea of the pain. Jimmie  said it feels the way you would expect it to feel and as I felt a mild burning pain and scratching that seemed to come and go, I realised....I can handle this pain!! I can completely confirm childbirth is (as expected) much worse! After about 45 Minutes the tattoo was finished and I don't know whether the natural adrenaline had kicked in or if I had just got used to the feeling of it all but when the colours were added I could barely feel anything! Jimmie then asked me whether I had thought about getting another tattoo and I muttered something about a Russian Doll and was nearly booked in for my second tattoo there and then! I was tempted, I have to say. I still need to think it over but will attempt not to take twenty years about it this time!

I was very strict with the aftercare of my tattoo and kept it clean, covered in Bepanthen and wrapped in cling film for three days and to be honest, it never even scarred up, it still looks shiny and new, it looks perfect.  It couldn't have gone any better and I thoroughly recommend going to Broad Street Studio in Bath. Jimmie is a great artist and a really cool bloke as are the rest of the guys at Broad Street. The Broad Street Studio also seem to have a conscience and will not just tattoo anything that you request, they do not tattoo the face, neck or hands, and regularly turn down requests from girls wanting the signature Cheryl Cole hand tattoo, which I found amusing.

Want a tattoo? Stop being indecisive and get on with it, I really do not know why I didn't get mine sooner, the only thing is I get easily obsessed and addicted to a thing and tattoos are definitely addictive, luckily I also get easily distracted so I will turn my eye to another thing after I have got everything I want and before it becomes an obsession! I know when to stop, I only had three kids didn't I? 
I love my tattoo!!!!






 What do you think?? Hope you like it!! Thanks to Jimmie at Broad Street Studios for designing and giving me my amazing first tattoo. I love it!!!!!

Thanks for reading!

ND xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...