A colourful fashion blog supporting independents & sustainable fashion in Bristol and beyond since 2011

Monday 3 September 2012

Hoochie Coochie Costumes 2009-2012

On Saturday night I was DJing as part of the Bang DJs for the Hoochie Coochie Circus Child Ball in a brilliant Big Top in the centre of Bristol UK. Bang have been DJing for the Hoochie Coochie for the past three years at various places and spaces including The Big Chill Festival in 2010. The Bang DJs are no strangers to a Big Top venue and Saturday night was the 4th time we have DJ'd in one....dressed as The Bang clowns......We prefer to see it as Art rock or performance art rather than 30 somethings dressing up in fancy dress! Ahem....

Before I edit all the images from Saturday nights Hoochie Coochie show, I'd like to show you some of the wierd and the wonderful outfits that we have worn as The Bang DJs for Hoochie Coochie.
Find out more about the Bang DJs here http://www.facebook.com/bangbristol?ref=hl and for Hoochie Coochie here http://www.hoochiecoochiekabaret.com/











The top images are the infamous Hoochie Coochie clowns that started life as a copy of a Harajuku Girls outfit spotted in Japan on our honeymoon back in 2009. I needed a reason to wear such an outfit and the Hoochie Coochie gave me the excuse. I excitedly knocked these outfits up for me and Phil and a year later I had to make another for the third Bang DJ,  my brother Mike. The clowns were very popular with the Hoochie Coochie creator and host Keda Breeze, who requested we wear them for our performances with the Hoochie Coochie Kaberet at the Big Chill Festival!! Since then we can't seem to shake the clown suits and we wore them again on Saturday (pics to come shortly).

Other outfits are inspired by the theme given for each Hoochie event including Gold (third pic) performing poodle (forth pic) Wild animals (fifth pic), glamourous zombies and bearded ladies (sixth pic) and Alice in Wonderland - Mike and I decided to go as Tweedle dum and Tweedle dee - the indie version (last images). Check out the Invisible Circus photobooth photograph, this was such fun, it was pure luck that my friends and I had managed to come as different characters from Alice in Wonderland, we randomly picked up the Queen of Hearts who was one of the roaming performers on the night. I love it when things work out like that!
 
Clownsuits, my gold outfit and big pink fur poodle coat (very Meadham Kirchhoff I reckon) all handmade by me. I seriously need to get the sewing machine out soon!! Hoochie Coochie Cricus Child Ball images to follow over the next few weeks. NDxx
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...