A colourful fashion blog supporting independents & sustainable fashion in Bristol and beyond since 2011

Friday 26 April 2013

This Is My England

As a little kid growing up in the 1980s here in England, there was a cult style that I would see on a daily basis, known as Skinheads or Skins these teenagers were given a bad reputation by the press, were not popular with parents, but were a massive British subculture and I secretly wanted to look like them, if only my Mum would have let me shave my hair off and leave a long fringe!
This massive British subculture which began in the 1970s now thrives all over the world in different guises for some it is a fashion statement for others it is a lifestyle.
 
 The look is very simple, a buttoned up Ben Sherman (probably checked and worn fitted and tucked in) or a Fred Perry polo shirt, Dr Martens, turned up jeans, braces, harrington jackets, bomber jackets (my latest fashion obsession) and short fitted skirts for the girls worn with ankle socks (preferably white) and docs or loafers.
The look is very androgynous, it's tough but smart. The music that goes with the subculture is a familiar sound to me and was played in my house a lot as a child.
 This is Ska!
Please pop on your favourite ska record and have a look at these images that I have been hoarding on Pinterest and I am now sharing with you. Expect original skinheads, new skins, the cast of Shane Meadows epic film This is England and more recent skinhead style inspired fashion shoots.
 









 
There is alot of the original skin heads style on the streets at the moment although I'm not sure how many people are aware that they have been inspired by it. Shirts buttoned up to the neck, Dr Marten boots, Dr Marten style shoes worn with ankle socks, turned up jeans and I am predicting the Bomber jacket is gonna be big over the next 12 months, I've pinned loads off them on Pinterest already, expect a bomber jacket post very soon. Whilst writing this post I have found many more blog worthy images for Skinhead style, so another post will be on the horizon!
 
I am very excited to announce that I hit my all time record for the number of blog views yesterday which was the best news for me! Thank you to everyone who follows me and hello to all my new readers!
 
All images courtesy of  kidsizebraces.tumblr.com, fashiongrunge.com, new-wave-hooker.tunblr.com, ftape.com, moon-turtle.tumblr.com, tensionwire.com and you can find all these images and loads more on my Pinterest boards follow me here http://pinterest.com/nodebutante/boards/ 
 
ND XX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...