A colourful fashion blog supporting independents & sustainable fashion in Bristol and beyond since 2011

Tuesday 11 August 2020

Indies in lockdown - Black Olive





It's been so interesting and encouraging to find out what creatives have been up to during lockdown. One thing lockdown has offered is some headspace for our indie makers to think about how their creativity and businesses can continue going forward into this brave new world! 

Bristol based seamstress and digital embroiderer Charly Evans aka Black Olive balances her creative projects in between her full time job working in education.

Things have dramatically changed for Charly during lockdown and she has even customised a jacket for Kurupt FM's Chabuddy G! Brilliant!




Personalised velour hooded bodysuit by Black Olive



Black Olive 


How are you & what has your situation been during lockdown?


For me, lockdown has been a rollercoaster of emotions but it’s given me the time to focus on what’s important and to let all the little things go that were bugging me.  

I’ve definitely eaten too many biscuits at home in my PJs over the past four months and I’m glad to finally start seeing friends and family again!! 

One thing that has brought me great comfort has been the ability to zone it all out with ongoing creative projects.  

Black Olive has always been a side hustle to my full time job working in education and I am really happy with how I balance the two different aspects of my life.

My creative studio is at home. We forfeited having a dining room to have a space where both my housemate and I can be creative (messy). 

During lockdown I have been lucky enough to work from home and I have just started a phased return to my actual work place which has been a really positive experience. I didn’t realise how important the social side of my day time job was until I returned and realised how much I missed everyone. 

A big shout out to everyone who has been working in education during this time- being involved in delivering homeschooling at any age is a challenging experience!!




Black Olive founder Charly Evans



How has lockdown affected your business/ the way you are working??

This year I had really hoped to offer some sewing and upcycling classes at various venues across the city. 

I meet many creative people who have machines gathering dust at home and are desperate for a bit of guidance. Lockdown obviously put a stop to these plans but fingers crossed I’ll be able to offer something early next year.

At this point in the Black Olive journey, everything I make is one off and bespoke to the customer. Therefore, whilst still working full time, I am only able to take on one order a week. 

Lockdown has given me more headspace to design projects, communicate with customers and plan social media content. I have spent time planning my orders and I’m now fully booked for the next month!

Just when I think I might have some time to make myself something, the next exciting project pops up in my inbox.




Black Olive's Personalised Hen-Do Sequin jackets



Has this time helped your productivity? If yes,how?

I’ve definitely become more productive during lockdown.

I’ve found time to cut out projects on my lunch break and I’ve gone straight from work into sewing most evenings. 

Being at home has given me extra time to experiment with patterns and techniques, rather than jumping straight into a project. I’ve found this has meant the quality of my products have improved as I have had the time to ‘iron out any creases’. 



Black Olive at The Bristol Fashion Show - Image courtesy of  Edward Felton Photography




Have you become more/less inspired in this time?

Weirdly, I’ve become more inspired and that comes directly from the amazing customer ideas I receive weekly. Getting messages like ‘Can you make my dream jacket’ are what keeps me going!

Normally this time of year involves rolling in and out of festivals and the lead up to these events would have me making outfits for people. Having said this I’m finding people are still ordering festival style garments, throwing on some glitter and having a disco at home instead.   

One of the highlights from lockdown was seeing a performer wearing one of my hooded bodysuits during an online cabaret stream.  I get a massive kick out of seeing people on stage in my clothes, even if this year it had to be through the telly instead.

I’ve found inspiration from lots of online platforms, from virtual tours of V&A exhibitions, that I may not have had time to visit, to up close stage performances from acts such as Cirque Du Soleil. 



The customised Chabuddy G jacket by Black Olive



What's next for Black Olive?

I’ve just set up an Etsy store specifically for customers to order personalised Hen-Do sequin jackets and I plan spending the next six months marketing that product.

Once venues are able to start offering classes, I hope to be delivering embellishing workshops, teaching creatives how to produce the same embroidery and appliqué offered in my bespoke made garments.

Black Olive is starting to establish a name within the talented but competitive, independent clothing businesses in Bristol. 

My focus has always been to push my skills in appliqué and embroidery and this will continue to be the main feature of everything I produce. 

Other designers are now out sourcing embroidery work from me and I’ve got some super exciting collaborations planned for later this year. 




Support Indie fashion designers and follow @blackolivedesign for bespoke garms and digital embroidery projects and for all 'brides to be' head over to Black Olive Embroidery on Etsy for your sparkly customised Hen-Do/wedding jackets! 

#supportindependent 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...