A colourful fashion blog supporting independents & sustainable fashion in Bristol and beyond since 2011

Tuesday 21 July 2020

Indies in lockdown - Emotional Waterfall





Has it taken a pandemic to make us re-evaluate our fast paced lives and slow down? Can a big change inspire creativity? 

Colourful, Bristol artist Emotional Waterfall says "Yes!!". 

We catch up with another Bristol creative  - as part of the Indies in Lockdown series -  who has completely submerged herself into her creative work during lockdown.



Colourful Bristol Artist Emotional Waterfall



Emotional Waterfall

Colourful, pattern making queen and fabulous mother of three, Jemma Burnsnell aka Emotional Waterfall is an artist who dabbles in everything creative from art installations to jewellery maker, upcycler, fashion collaborator and interior designer.

Preferring to remain known as an artist first over any other creative label, if Emotional Waterfall can hand paint her signature bright coloured geometrics and abstract brush stroke patterns on it, she will! 

From collaborations with Lucy and Yak, Winifred Rose and Gangster Wraps under her belt alongside handpainted upcycled pieces, 'sell out in seconds' wearable art earrings, wall murals and one woman live art shows at Bristol's Upfest, this is one busy and creative lady. 

So, what's changed during lockdown? How has Emotional Waterfall become even more productive?



Abstract portrait collages by Emotional Waterfall
Abstract portrait collages by Emotional Waterfall




How are you & what has your situation been during lockdown? 

In the beginning I thought 'well that’s it for the way I work', it felt like making and selling ART was a bit pointless considering!
 
The levels of fear and doom that we were being fed constantly ground everything creative to an abrupt halt and having a family at home was busy for me at first!

I was usually at my studio everyday from school drop till pick up then suddenly I was just at home, a bit confused, in my pjs!

BUT, quickly it became a calm and lovely time to have everyone together and not rush around. I actually found my mind full of ideas and had time to revisit lots of unfinished projects at home that I now had time for. Actual time had no meaning, (there was) no clock watching, no deadlines, we were all together and I felt really peaceful and happy. 



More Love Love More by Emotional Waterfall



How has lockdown affected your business and the way you work? 


This new relaxed vibe led me back into creativity pretty quickly and I set up a temporary work space in my tiny kitchen, where I happily work away with a steady stream of music and children using the toaster or asking when dinner is!

I guess the difference is without the parameters of worrying if I was late for a meeting or school pick up, the flow became a much gentler way of life as an artist at home.



Join the Pattern Party with Emotional Waterfall



Has this time helped your productivity? If yes, how? 

YES is the answer! 

There was a more relaxed vibe from clocking out of life as it previously was and entering a new lockdown at home time.

I had more time to really think about what I wanted to make and I ended up making earrings as I did last summer -  they are a long process of clay, drying, painting, doodling, varnishing and packaging - Such a labour of LOVE! I previously wouldn’t of considered ever making them again as, 

A, I’m not a jewellery maker! I’m a pattern maker. 
And B, I just felt WAY to busy previously to even get into such a slow process again. 

But this way at home I could have a paint brush on the go whilst keeping my eye on dinner and it just worked for me!



Wearable Art Earring shapes by Emotional Waterfall



Have you become more/less inspired in this time?

MORE!

I think looking back a lot of people hopefully valued the special, slower time we were given - circumstances allowing of obviously - but personally it gave me a chance to really focus and make the best choices going forward with my ART.

Being bolder in those choices I got a really solid plan together to formulate all my best ideas from the past, revisit ideas scribbled in note books, finding old doodles whilst tidying up and pick the best of the best so that emerging from this strange time Emotional Waterfall is exactly what I want it be going forward.

It’s always been my own special universe to exist in anyway in essence, that’s how it came to be anyway and I think for artists it pretty much how we live most of the time lockdown or not!

I had time to think about what worked, what didn’t and what positive joy I really want to say through my art going forward.



Recycling Joy by Emotional Waterfall



What's next for Emotional Waterfall? 

The website and shop are the main things, along with some other secret stuff!

I’m very easily distracted especially being at home, so this has been a while on the table but I’ve had time to actually write and take photos for the online shop. 

I’m really excited to have this new phase almost ready to launch and to welcome everyone into the universe of EMOTIONAL WATERFALL x



Follow Emotional Waterfall on Instagram and hold tight for the launch of the new website and online shop! 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...